Monday, February 18, 2008

Snowcapades

As many of you know I have said that Cub Scouts is a "father/son" thing but that did not stop me from getting tapped to be the den leader for G's Webelos den this year. So, reluctantly I accepted the task and have made every effort to "Do My Best" (scout motto...) and got on the big learning curb to catch up with all the scouting stuff that father's seem to just "know". So, this year I attended my very first Cub Scout Snowcapades. (This ~ for those of you who may not know is a big day of sledding, fire building, tug-o-war's, snow shoeing for the boys and families.) The boy's LOVE this day....the dad's LOVE this day....I liked this day....Now don't get me wrong, as you can tell from the pictures the sun was shining, everyone was having fun, laughing, getting exercise....now here comes the part why I did not LOVE it and the reason that I think most Mom's do not attend this day or most scouting events..... WE WORRY!!!!! We worry about if they are warm enough, we worry about kids getting lost in the woods, we worry about kids getting hurt...etc... EVERY time one of my boys got on one of those 'death saucers' at the top of the very hard packed icy run and got and extra PUSH for speed I held my breath. Especially since the first FOUR kids to go down did actually get HURT!!!! Now the Dad's that were with me did not seem to blink an eye. I wanted to run up there and be THAT mom who yanked my kid away from the "bully" who was pushing him down the icy tunnel of death.....
Not a single dad or grandpa that was with me seemed to be having this feeling?






BUT..as you can see by their smiling faces they both came away from the day with only one minor injury...Carsen slipped on the ice and smacked his chin and got a snow strawberry. He was just fine until I said there was only a little blood. Then he screamed like a...well....girl....












2 comments:

carey said...

Dig that fact that they are wearing helmets. Is this because you were one of the only mom's there? I sometimes just have to walk away, bite my tongue and hope my husband knows what he's doing.

Rocky said...

Actually, helmet's were required on all the kids. Pretty sure it had something to do with the "Be Prepared" motto. I also didn't tell about the fact that we camped overnight and the next day Wes took them snowmobiling and let Griffen drive one by himself. As they stepped out of the camper I told him.."for the record, I am against this.." His response.."I know." NICE~